Saturday 1 February 2014

:: slow cooked lemon herb drumsticks ::



Today I want to share one of the most delicious and simple dinners I've come across in ages. It went straight to the top of hubby's favourite list, and it's been a hit with all the visitors (I've unashamedly made it for the last 4 sets!). And because it's done in the slow cooker, I turn it on at about midday and get to potter around and forget about dinner until 15 minutes before the guests are expected to arrive!

The reason I love this so much is because it uses drumsticks which I'd usually avoid. They are the cheapest cut of chicken, but they are fiddly to crumb and messy to eat! But not with this recipe. The chicken is completely falling off the legs as I pull them out (I use a spoon to scoop them so they stay together!). And at $5.99 for a 2kg bag of Aldi legs (about 14 in a bag), it's a dirt cheap meal for a large group. What's not to love?! Oh, and I almost forgot to mention that the sauce that you make from the juices in the bottom of the pot is to die for.

So here's what you do. I double the following recipe if I'm using the whole 2kg bag of legs.

Slow-Cooked Chicken Drumsticks with Lemon and Herbs
  • 6-8 skinless chicken drumsticks
  • 1 lemon (zest & juice)
  • 1 Tbsp. olive oil
  • 2 Tbsp. Italian seasoning (or 2 teas of basil, 2 teas oregano, 2 teas parsley, 1 teas paprika)
  • 2 tsp. garlic powder
  • ½ tsp. salt
  • ¼ tsp. pepper

De-skin the legs with a sharp knife first. I do this by sliding the knife under the skin and slitting it down the side. Then I pull the skin back and run my knife around the base of the bone to remove it. Dry the legs roughly with some paper towel, and arrange in the base of your slow cooker. Juice a lemon and mix in a small bowl with oil and spices. Pour all over the drumsticks in the slow cooker. Cook on low for 6 hours or high for 3-4.

Remove the drumsticks carefully and keep covered and warm. Pour the juices into a small saucepan and whisk 1/4 cup gluten-free flour (or ordinary plain flour) into it, and let it come to the boil. Any lumps will boil away as you whisk. Pour sauce over drumsticks on a bed of rice or quinoa.






I promise you won't be disappointed.

{served with sauteed kale and cabbage above}

1 comment:

  1. Sounds delicious! I'll give it ago I think. I love anything with lemon.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a bit of love behind in my comment box!